Spring Orzo Salad Recipe
I decided to make this Spring Orzo Salad on a whim! I had all the ingredients (minus the peas, which I don’t like anyway) and it looked easy and QUICK so I threw it together. Let me just say, it was a hit! Both my husband and I loved it. In fact, we loved it so much that we made it again for my family who was visiting the following week and they all loved it too!
There are some recipes that you only make once and then forget about them, but this is NOT one. This is a recipe that will forever own a place in our family recipe book. It came directly from Beachbody on Demand, specifically the FIXATE cooking show.
If you are a busy mom like myself and don’t necessarily like spending lots of time in the kitchen, this spring orzo salad recipe is for you! Here’s a tip for you. Try doubling the recipe so that you have plenty of leftovers.
Spring Orzo Salad Recipe
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. raw honey (or coconut sugar)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium organic chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 1 cup dry orzo, whole wheat
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (we skipped these!)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots (1/2 inch)
- 1/2 cup sliced asparagus (1/2 inch rounds)
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini (1/2 inch)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp. finely grated lemon peel (lemon zest) (peel of approx. 1 lemon)
Combine oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, honey, and garlic in a medium bowl; whisk to blend. Set aside.
Bring broth to a boil in large pot over high heat.
Add orzo; cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender with a little bite.
While orzo is cooking place a colander on top of pot. Place peas, carrots, asparagus, and zucchini in colander. Top with a lid. Let vegetables steam until orzo has finished cooking.
Set vegetables aside. Drain orzo and rinse under cold water. Drain all excess water. Place in a large mixing bowl.
Add steamed vegetables, basil, lemon peel, and dressing; toss gently to blend. Enjoy at room temperature, or refrigerate and serve chilled.
- Orzo can be cooked in lightly salted water instead of broth.
- Vegetables can be steamed separately.
- To make a more complete meal, add 1 Red container of cooked, pulled chicken breast to each serving.
Fix Nutrition Plan Container Equivalents:
1 1/2 yellow, 1/2 green
Are you interested in joining an online accountability group that focuses on eating healthy, incorporating exercise from home, and being supported and motivated by other women working on similar goals? Apply below for more information!